New Parent Page

New parents often have questions about how boy scouting operates when they joint the troop. Here are a few items that can start to answer some of these questions.

What kind of paperwork do I need to fill out?

After the Arrow of Light requirements are complete you can transfer your scout to the troop. We prefer to have at least one parent register with BSA as a committee member when you have a scout in the troop. Of course, both parents are welcome to register. Use the link below to transfer your scout or register your scout/yourself.

Online Troop Registration link

Getting on the Troop Google Group

The troop google group is the troop email list and manages access to the troop website materials.

  • You'll need a google account to have access to the troop web based materials, sign ups, etc.
  • You do not need a gmail address- your other email address can be used as contact for a google account.
  • Send the emails you would like invited to the google group (each will receive the troop emails) to

More info at link below:

Link to Troop Google Group information

Getting connected to the troop calendar

In addition to the troop website, the troop google calendar is the maintained and updated frequently and is a great source of info you can sync to your phone and computer calendars. More info on getting connected to the troop google calendar at the link below:

What apps are useful for my phone

The troop uses a google account with access to GSuite apps to manage most of the troop online work. The troop website is a handy navigation to get to those documents, etc. However, if you are knowledgeable using Google Drive and Google Apps on your phone, then you can use those instead of the website (although there still is nice organized info on the website as well (some not available on Google Drive, such as this wonderful page :)

Recommended apps that will enable signups, etc on your phone:

  • Google Drive
  • Google Sheets
  • Google Docs


A great resource and answers to frequently asked questions is the SCOUT FAQ on the troop website (continually developed) . It includes great information on gear, advancement, troop outings, uniform layout, etc

What kind of gear does my scout need?

Some basic gear is needed for your scout on outings; however, it doesn't need to be fancy or expensive. Key items are listed below. If you have questions, you can ask the scoutmaster or assistant scoutmasters.

  • Uniform (including shirt, pants, socks, and belt- the troop supplies the neckerchief (on loan) and initial woggle, troop numbers, troop anniversary number, and epaulettes)
  • Scout Handbook (a cover is also recommended)- each scout will need their own handbook to keep track and record rank progress.
  • Sleeping bag (rated at 30F for most campouts, lower rating for colder campouts)
  • Sleeping pad (can be basic foam, yoga mat, etc)
  • Water bottle (Nalgene brand are really awesome)
  • Mess kit (plate, bowl, knife, fork, spoon- plastic OK)
  • Pocket knife (optional)- folding, locking, not longer than the width of palm of scout)
  • Compass (optional)
  • Tent (optional)- there are many opportunities to share; if getting a tent, select a basic 3-4 person tent.

What kind of Troop gear is there?

The troop gear consists of

  • Patrol box (patrol kitchen)- containing stove, pots, pans, utensils, etc
  • SPOT- wilderness GPS, emergency beacon
  • Water purification pumps
  • Bear Canisters
  • Various materials such as staves, rope, camporee materials, etc.

Do I have to go on outings with my son?

No- Its different from Cub Scouts, you can send you scout on an outing and do not have to attend yourself. You are welcome to join us anytime you wish (unless there is limited space, then we prioritize scouts in those select occasions).

How do I sign my scout up for an outing?

We send emails with signup links for outings using a Google form. Just fill out the form for your scout (and yourself if desired) and you will be signed up!